by 14 people
Fire-Roasted Tomato and Italian Sausage Grinders
- 10 uncooked hot or sweet Italian sausage links (about 2 1/2 pounds total)
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 French-style rolls or hoagie buns, split
- 10 slices provolone cheese, halved
- 3/4 cup roasted red sweet peppers, drained and cut into thin strips
- Place sausage links in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. For sauce, stir in undrained diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, vinegar, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- To serve, preheat broiler. Place the sausage links on roll bottoms, reserving sauce in cooker. Place a half-slice of cheese on top of each sausage link and a half-slice of cheese on the cut side of each roll top. Place roll bottoms with sausage on a baking sheet. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- To serve, add roasted peppers and roll tops. Serve reserved sauce in individual serving bowls for dipping.
Nutrition Facts (Fire-Roasted Tomato and Italian Sausage Grinders)
Per serving: 859 kcal cal., 39 g fat (17 g sat. fat, 5 g polyunsaturated fat, 18 g monounsaturated fat), 96 mg chol., 2305 mg sodium, 81 g carb., 6 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 37 g pro. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet